Residential Infill Construction

Are you building a new home in an established neighbourhood? You will need a grading permit before applying for a building permit. Grading permits will be issued by the Development Engineering department before applying for the associated building permit.

Permit requirements




​New infill residential home

​Infill lot grading permit




New infill


Documents required for submission:
(all documents to be submitted in PDF format)

  1. Residential grading permit requirements (PDF) – see grading permit requirements
  2. Agent Authorization Form (PDF) – required if applicant is not the registered homeowner
  3. Toronto and Region Conservation Authority (TRCA) approval – if applicable
  4. Committee of Adjustment approval – if applicable
  5. Permit fee – includes two drawing reviews. Any additional reviews are subject to a fee as listed Fees and Charges By-law 110-2023 Schedule K (PDF).

For more information, please review lot grading notes (PDF) and City of Vaughan lot grading criteria.

Once your grading permit has been issued, please refer to Building Standards for next steps.


Sample drawings:


sample of infill for a residential home
New infill residential home