Bill 3, Strong Mayors, Building Homes Act, 2022, received Royal Assent on September 8, 2022, and came into force on November 23, 2022.
This legislation and associated regulations (O. Reg. 530/22 and O. Reg 580/22) provide the Mayor with additional powers beyond those previously set out in the Municipal Act, 2001. These powers were assigned to City of Vaughan's Mayor on July 1, 2023 by O. Reg 180/23.
The Mayor has special powers and duties under Part VI.1 of the Municipal Act, 2001. These include powers to:
- Bring matters to Council that advance certain Provincial priorities and veto any by-laws passed by Council that may interfere with the advancement of those priorities
- Appoint the City Manager*
- Hire and dismiss certain City officials and determine the organizational structure of the City of Vaughan*
- Create committees of Council, assign their functions and appoint the Chairs and Vice Chairs of committees of Council*
- Propose the City's budget subject to Council amendments, a Mayoral veto and a Council override process
*The Mayor may choose to delegate these specific powers and duties
The Mayor is required to exercise those powers and duties in writing and make them available to the public, subject to the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. Mayoral decisions will be posted on the City’s website below.