Vaughan Mills Centre Secondary Plan
The Vaughan Mills Centre Secondary Plan will provide a planning framework for an important intensification area in the City of Vaughan. Vaughan Mills Centre is subject to development applications that propose primarily mixed use developments with heights and densities generally higher than what is provided for along Primary Intensification Corridors.
A Secondary Plan Study is required to adequately address such issues as:
- public spaces, built form and land uses in relation to nearby employment uses to the south, east and west, and primarily residential uses to the north and northeast of the study area;
- residential intensification in relation to the Vaughan Metropolitan Centre (VMC), which is the City’s designated "Urban Growth Centre";
- transportation issues for high capacity transit;
- an appropriate mix and organization for commercial and employment uses in the area west of 400 and east of Weston Road; and assessment of appropriate community benefits to support this intensified community.
The Vaughan Mills Secondary Plan was adopted by the City of Vaughan Council on March 18, 2014 and by York Region Council on July 11, 2014 with modifications. The Plan is currently subject to appeals at the Ontario Municipal Board:
- York Region Notice of Decision View >
- Region Approved Vaughan Mills Centre Secondary Plan (OPA 2), with Modifications View >
DRAFT Vaughan Mills Centre Secondary Plan (distribution May 22, 2013) > View
Public Forum #3: Public Open House - May 22, 2013 and Public Meeting/Hearing - June 11, 2013 - Notice
Public Forum #2: Vaughan Mills Centre Secondary Plan, Emerging Design Ideas Workshop - December 11, 2012
Public Forum #1: Vaughan Mills Centre Secondary Plan Kick-Off and Visioning Session - September 10, 2012. The objectives of the Forum #1 (Kick-off and Visioning Workshop) were to provide an opportunity for the public to review the input of the stakeholder interviews with respect to the opportunities and constraints for the Vaughan Mills Centre Secondary Plan area, and to participate in a facilitated workshop to define a vision, guiding principles, and opportunities and constraints for the site.
Presentation and Workshops
- Agenda: Kick-off and Visioning Forum
- Introduction and Project Review
- What We've Heard
- Policy Background & Existing Land Use Conditions
- Fresh Eyes Analysis & Existing Conditions
- Workshop: Vision and Guiding Principles
- Workshop: Development Concepts
- Welcome and Introduction
- Policy Context
- Development Context
- Must Haves?
- Opportunities and Challenges: Natural Heritage, Open Space and Mobility
- What Uses Would You Imagine Here?
- What Improvements to Open Space Would You Imagine Here?
- What Sustainability Strategies Should Be Considered?
- Commercial Context
- Opportunities and Challenges: Employment/Commercial Node
- Where do you live? work? shop?