New Home Entrance

Building another entrance to your home can be a convenient way to improve access. You will need a permit to build any additional entrance or walkout from the basement. Grading permits to be issued by Development Engineering before applying for the associated building permit.

Permit requirements





​Side-door entrance

​Addition permit less than 40 metres squared


Walkout/walkup basement

​Addition permit less than 40 metres squared



Side or Walkout (basement)


Documents required for submission:

**(all documents to be submitted in PDF format)


  1. Residential grading permit requirements (PDF) – see grading permit requirements
  2. Agent Authorization Form (PDF) – required if applicant is not the registered homeowner
  3. Toronto and Region Conservation Authority (TRCA) approval – if applicable
  4. Committee of Adjustment approval – if applicable
  5. Permit fee – includes two drawing reviews. Any additional reviews are subject to a fee as listed Fees and Charges By-law 171-2013 Schedule K (PDF).


For more information, please review lot grading notes (PDF) and City of Vaughan lot grading criteria.


Sample drawings:

Side entrance (PDF)



Walkout entrance (basement) (PDF)