Contaminated or Potentially Contaminated Sites Policy
City of Vaughan Policy and Procedures for Dealing with Contaminated or Potentially Contaminated Sites
The City of Vaughan's Policy and Procedures for Dealing with Contaminated or Potentially Contaminated Sites (the "Contaminated Sites Policy") intent is to ensure contaminated or potentially contaminated sites within the City of Vaughan are addressed according to Provincial statutes and regulations, York Region standards, and best management practices to permit development or redevelopment, and to ensure that lands being conveyed to the City meet the applicable environmental standards.
An update to the City of Vaughan's Contaminated Sites Policy that was originally adopted by Council on May 14, 2001 was completed in early 2014. As significant updates have occurred to the legislation relating to contaminated sites since 2001, an update to the Contaminated Sites Policy was required to ensure the City's environmental review process was consistent with current industry practices and regulations as well as remaining effective and efficient for Vaughan's development application review process.
The 2014 updates to the Contaminated Sites Policy included:
- Re-organization of original policy sections to improve clarity and understanding.
- New Governing Policies, Plans, and Legislative Background Section.
- Updated references and incorporation of prescribed elements of the Environmental Protection Act including Ontario Regulation 153/04, where applicable.
- Modified timing of the Site Screening Questionnaire submission at an earlier stage in the development application process (i.e., Pre-Application Consultation Meeting) to assist applicants in identifying requirements for Environmental Site Assessment report(s) as early as possible.
- Updated Flow Chart Figures.
- Updated Site Screening Questionnaire and Certification Form.
- New attachments including a Sample Reliance Letter Template and Remedial Action Plan Checklist.
Although the 2014 update supersedes the original 2001 Contaminated Sites Policy, the protocols prescribed in the 2014 update have remained largely unchanged. Where applicable, reference should be made to the original 2001 Contaminated Sites Policy document and 2001 Background Report on the Contaminated Sites Policy if further insight on the development of the policy is required.
These Contaminated Sites Policy documents are provided below for reference.
- City of Vaughan Policy and Procedures for Dealing with Contaminated or Potentially Contaminated Sites, Updated January 2014.pdf
- City of Vaughan Policy and Procedures for Dealing with Contaminated or Potentially Contaminated Sites, May 2001.pdf
- City of Vaughan Background Report on Policy and Procedures for Dealing with Contaminated or Potentially Contaminated Sites, May 2001.pdf