Apartments and High-rise Buildings
Evacuating from an apartment or high-rise building during a fire may not always be possible.
If this is the case, use these tips to keep safe:
- Place a wet towel under the door frames.
- Place duct tape or foil wrap over doors and vent openings.
- Whistle and use a flashlight to signal for help.
- Hang a brightly coloured cloth out of a window or a balcony to identify location.
- Write messages with an ink marker on cloth or on windows.
- Wet a cotton bed sheet – make a tent with it and stay near a window when the smoke is heavy.
- Use a plastic pail with a lid to fill with water during a fire.
Additional items to the home emergency kit are a plastic pail and a fire-safety plan for your building.