Municipal Conflict of Interest Act
Bill 68: Modernizing Ontario’s Municipal Legislation Act, 2017
The Modernizing Ontario’s Municipal Legislation Act, 2017 (Bill 68) received Royal Assent (was made law) on May 30, 2017. Bill 68 changes have come into force in phases, with some provisions coming into force on Royal Assent and most changes relating to the mandate of Integrity Commissioners came into force on March 1, 2019.
Bill 68 amended the Municipal Act, 2001, the City of Toronto Act, 2006, the Municipal Conflict of Interest Act, 1990 and several other acts.
The Office of the Integrity Commissioner (IC) has prepared for new accountability provisions of the Municipal Act and the Municipal Conflict of Interest Act (MCIA) came into effect on March 1, 2019. These changes were approved by Council on Sept. 21, 2009 and amended on June 12, 2019.
The following are changes made to the City of Vaughan accountability documents as a result of the Bill 68 amendments:
- The role of the IC has been expanded to include application of the MCIA. This means that members of the public can bring complaints alleging MCIA contraventions by Members of Council to the Integrity Commissioner.
- The IC’s jurisdiction includes oversight and Code of Conduct investigations of boards members, including members of Committees of Adjustment (restricted definition).
- The IC is specifically empowered to provide advice to members of councils and local boards, including advice on MCIA rules.
- The IC has the power to apply to a judge for a determination of a question of whether a member has contravened sections 5, 5.1 or 5.2 of the MCIA.
An education session for Members of Vaughan City Council was held on Feb. 7, 2019 to introduce the new accountability provisions to Vaughan Council.
From time to time, with the adoption by City Council of the updates to the existing Code of Conduct and Complaint Protocol, the Integrity Commissioner will be providing education and outreach to members of City Boards in respect of their obligations.
- Application for Municipal Conflict of Interest Act Investigation (PDF)
- Code of Ethical Conduct for Members of Council and Local Boards (PDF)
- Complaint Form and Affidavit (PDF)
Complaint Protocol for the Code of Ethical Conduct for Members of Council and Local Boards (PDF)
- Council Member Information Statement (PDF)
- Donor Declaration Form (PDF)
- Member of Council Participation in Community Organizations (PDF)
- Member of Council Request for Written Advice (PDF)
- Modernizing Ontario's Municipal Legislation Act, 2017