Emergency shelters and cooling centres
In the event of an emergency situation affecting Vaughan, it may be necessary for citizens to evacuate from an area for their safety.
An emergency shelter provides evacuees access to food, clothing, lodging, pet sheltering, mobile device charging, washroom/bathing facilities and services to support recovery from the situation.
To provide a place of refuge for evacuees, the City has designated all community centres as emergency shelters. Three community centres have pre-positioned cots and linen sets and are the first sites opened depending on the location of the emergency.
The three primary centres are:
- Father E. Bulfon Community Centre – 8141 Martin Grove Rd., Woodbridge
- Maple Community Centre – 10190 Keele St., Maple
- Dufferin Clark Community Centre – 1441 Clark Ave. W., Thornhill
Additional community centres located closest to the emergency scene and safe for use will be opened as needed. Vaughan will notify the public through the media, the City’s website and social media of the emergency shelters.
Other potential emergency shelters:
- Al Palladini Community Centre – 9201 Islington Ave., Woodbridge
- Chancellor Community Centre – 350 Ansley Grove Rd., Woodbridge
- Garnet A. Williams Community Centre – 501 Clark Ave. W., Thornhill
- North Thornhill Community Centre – 300 Pleasant Ridge Ave., Thornhill
- Rosemount Community Centre – 1000 New Westminster Dr., Thornhill
- Vellore Village Community Centre – 1 Villa Royale Ave., Woodbridge
- Woodbridge Pool and Memorial Arena – 5020 Hwy. 7, Woodbridge
In the event of extreme heat alerts issued by Environment Canada and the Medical Officer of Health, all community centres and libraries are designated cooling centres. Find out which community centre is located closest to you.
The hours of the Thornhill Outdoor Pool (25 Centre St., Thornhill) may also be extended. Vaughan will issue notices through media, the City’s website and social media of facilities that are available as cooling centres for citizens seeking relief from the heat.