Taxicab, Limousine and Private Transportation Company Permits
The following private ground passenger transportation is required to be licensed in order to operate in the City of Vaughan:
- taxicab brokerages, owners and drivers
- limousine companies, owners and drivers
- private transportation companies (PTCs) and drivers
2. In-person or by mail to: By-Law and Compliance, Licensing & Permit Services
Vaughan City Hall, Level 100
2141 Major Mackenzie Dr.
Vaughan, ON L6A 1T1
3. Via the drop-boxes located at the entrances of Vaughan City Hall.
4. By e-mail to:
email@example.com, along with scanned copies of required documentation.
Please ensure the application or e-mail indicates a contact phone number for staff to collect payment.
If submitting your application by mail or via the drop-box, please enclose payment in the form of a cheque made payable to the City of Vaughan. If submitting your application via e-mail, please ensure the application or accompanying message indicate a contact name and phone number for our staff to collect payment.
- All companies are permitted to set their own fares, which they must file with the City in advance.
- Surge pricing will not be permitted during a government declared state of emergency.
- Police criminal background checks can now be obtained from any Ontario Police Service. (You can obtain the York Regional Police "Police Criminal Records Check" or equivalent from other Ontario Police Service)
Taxi drivers, owners and brokerages require annual licensing from the City of Vaughan. Note that:
- Taxicab drivers can accept pre-arranged passengers, pick up passengers waiting at taxicab stands and those which flag them down.
- Taxicab owners are no longer required to belong to a brokerage.
- Taxicab drivers with more than five years of experience are eligible to obtain a taxicab owner’s licence, provided that they meet other requirements and operate an accessible vehicle for 4 years
- Taxis must ensure an up-to-date decal is on the side of their vehicle and that a City licence plate is on the back with the same number.
You can apply online on the Licensing Portal, or in-person, by mail, drop-box or email using the application forms below.
The Taxicab Owner or Driver (operator) licence also requires a photo of the applicant to be submitted, as described here.
Accessible Taxicab Owner
Accessible Taxicab Driver
Other taxi fees (if needed)
Taxi Tariff Card Replacement
Taxi 911 Stickers Replacement
Missed Inspection Fee
Limousine drivers, owners and companies require annual licensing from the City of Vaughan. Note that:
- Limousine drivers can only pick up pre-arranged passengers
- Limousines must have a City of Vaughan plate on the vehicle and drivers must have a valid licence card showing the owner/operator and vehicle information, including the vehicle information number and provincial plate.
You can apply online on the Licensing Portal, or in-person, by mail, drop-box or email using the application form below.
The Limousine Owner or Limousine Driver (operator) licence also requires a photo of the applicant to be submitted, as described here.
Private Transportation Companies
PTCs provide ride-sharing services through the use of a platform to arrange transportation, in vehicles which are not taxis or limousines and that have a capacity of fewer than ten passengers. Note that:
- PTC drivers must apply directly through the PTC company. If a PTC is licensed in Vaughan and its drivers are licensed by another municipality, drivers shall be considered licensed in Vaughan after their first pick-up in the City.
- PTC drivers can only provide services that are arranged through their PTC’s platforms.
- PTC vehicles will be required to have a safety standards certificate and proper insurance, as well as display a company identifier, such as a decal.
- Drivers cannot charge cash.
- PTC licensing fees will be based on an annual flat fee and quarterly payments of 11 cents per ride.
You can apply on the Licensing Portal, or in-person, mail, drop-box or email, using one of the following forms for submission. The Private Transportation Company Driver application also requires a photo of the applicant to be submitted, as described here.
*Note: If you are already a licensed Private Transportation Company Driver in a municipality with equivalent regulations, you may not need to apply for a City of Vaughan licence. Contact Client Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or 905-832-2281.
Otherwise, you can apply online on the Licensing Portal for a Private Transportation Company licence.
PTC – up to 24 vehicles
PTC – 25 to 99 vehicles
PTC – 100 to 499 vehicles
PTC – 500 or more vehicles
All PTCs - per ride originating in Vaughan
PTC Driver $0 $0 $0 $0