Double-Up Days are back!
Get your waste bags ready – Double-Up Days are back this week or next, depending on your scheduled collection day! This program allows you to place up to six garbage items at the curb with no paid garbage tags required. Need to 'double'-check your collection day? Visit vaughan.ca/WasteCalendar.
Here are some tips to keep in mind before you put waste at the curb:
- Place your items at the curb in the morning, when possible, and no later than 7 a.m. the day of collection. Crews will not return for items set out late.
- Large or bulky items, such as mattresses, chairs and tables, can be placed curbside, and each piece counts as one item toward the six-item limit. Read the guidelines for setting out large or bulky items for more details.
- The City of Vaughan also picks up toilets curbside. Two-piece toilets must be disassembled to be collected. Watch this short video on how to disassemble a two-piece toilet.
- Large metal items and appliances, such as dishwashers and refrigerators, are collected by appointment only on Thursdays. Book an appointment and pay through Service Vaughan or call the City at 905-832-2281. For more information, visit the City’s appliance and metal pickup webpage.
- All household hazardous waste (such as batteries, cleaners, paint and pool chemicals) and electronic waste (such as cellphones and laptops) are not collected curbside and must be taken to a York Region waste depot for safe disposal.
What goes where?
If you’re unsure what items go where, use the online ‘What Goes Where?’ sorting tool to easily check using the search function. You can also download the free Recycle Coach app from the Apple App Store or Google Play for more sorting help. The app also provides waste-less tips and a personalized collection schedule with optional alerts on what to put to the curb each week.
For more information on waste collection in Vaughan, visit vaughan.ca/waste.