Apply for a licence

About this licence

These licences are required to operate Short-Term Rentals in the City of Vaughan.

Options to apply


1. On the Licensing Portal:


2. In person or by mail to:

By-Law and Compliance, Licensing & Permit Services
Vaughan City Hall, Level 100
2141 Major Mackenzie Dr.
Vaughan, ON L6A 1T1


3. Via the drop-boxes located at the entrances of Vaughan City Hall.

Via the drop-boxes located at the entrances of Vaughan City Hall.


4. By e-mail to:, along with scanned copies of required documentation. Please ensure the application or e-mail indicates a contact phone number for staff to collect payment.
If submitting your application by mail or via the drop-box, please enclose payment in the form of a cheque made payable to the City of Vaughan. If submitting your application via e-mail, please ensure the application or accompanying message indicate a contact name and phone number for our staff to collect payment.

How to get a short-term rental licence

You can apply online on the Licensing Portal. Otherwise, you can apply by mail, drop-box or email, completing the following appropriate form for submission:


Step 1:

Register for a Municipal Accommodation Tax (MAT) number. All short-term rental owners and brokers require a MAT number.


Step 2:

Fill out the short-term rental licence application form, available below.



Step 3:

Submit the application form as per the instructions above.



2023 ​Initial

2023 ​Renewal





Short-Term Rental Owners





​Short-Term Rental Brokers (up to 10 properties)





​Short-Term Rental Brokers (11 to 50 properties)





​Short-Term Rental Brokers (51 to 100 properties)





​Short-Term Rental Brokers (more than 100 properties)






Step 4:

Once a short-term rental owner has their licence, they must:

  • display the licence in a place visible from the outside of, or as near as possible to, the main entrance of the short-term rental.
  • notify the City of Vaughan, in writing, within seven days of any change to the information provided in the application to obtain or renew a licence.
  • ensure the home complies, at all times, with the Ontario Building Code and Ontario Fire Code, including maximum occupancy.
  • show the amount of the MAT as a separate item or charge on the bill for each stay – this applies to owners that operate their short-term rental independently from a brokerage.
  • collect and remit the MAT to the City of Vaughan.
  • renew the licence annually as long as the short-term rental is in operation.

For more information on the requirements for short-term rentals, read the Short-Term Rental Licensing By-law linked to the right.



  • Failure to obtain a licence and/or to be in compliance with Short-Term Rental regulations may lead to a range of penalties, such as, but not limited to:Administrative Monetary Penalties of $750 per infraction;
  • Fines laid under the Provincial Offences Act (POA), R.S.O. 1990, Chapter P.33 of $1,000 to $100,000 and, in the case of houses used as banquet halls, fines which are equivalent to the estimated profits of the organizer; and
  • Referrals to other departments or public agencies, such as Building Standards, Vaughan Fire and Rescue Services, York Regional Police, Regional Municipality of York, Ontario Provincial Police, Children’s Aid Society and the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario.