Enforcement and Animal Complaints

Learn more about how to submit a complaint and what information to include below.


What to include in the complaint report

In order to file a complaint, the following information is required:

  • full name
  • address
  • daytime telephone number
  • address of the property you wish to lodge a complaint against


It is important to provide as much detail as possible regarding the violation (i.e. description of vehicle, animal or person involved in the incident, approximate window of time/date when the violation occurred, nature of the complaint, description of the event, etc.). Lack of information may result in delays in response time and resolution.


In keeping with the City of Vaughan's Anonymous Calls Policy 06.02.01 (PDF), By-law and Compliance, Licensing and Permit Services (including Animal Services) does not accept anonymous complaints. Complainant information is protected under the provisions of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act on all active by-law related complaints.


Complaints are generally not activated for investigation when:

  • the calls are retaliatory in nature.
  • the complainant’s property is also in violation of a by-law.


How to submit a complaint

A complaint can be registered by emailing bylaw@vaughan.ca or animal.services@vaughan.ca. Complaints can also be registered by calling 905-832-2281.