Short term rentals

Short-term rentals are allowed in residential homes in Vaughan – that is the homeowner’s or tenant/lessee’s principal residence – provided that a licence is obtained. Short-term rentals are generally understood to be when individuals rent out their residence, or part of their residence, for short periods of time (not more than 29 consecutive nights) for a fee.

A room containing various types of furniture and decorations.

About the Short-Term Rental Licensing By-law

As per the Short-Term Rentals Licensing By-law:

  • homeowners or tenants/lessees are considered owners.
  • businesses, such as Airbnb and Expedia, that offer a service where individuals can advertise and book their short-term rental, are considered brokerages.
  • both owners and brokerages are required to obtain a licence.


About Municipal Accommodation Tax

A Municipal Accommodation Tax (MAT) applies to all short-term rental stays. Owners and brokerages must have a MAT number in order to obtain a licence. Homeowners or tenants/lessees who operate a short-term rental must charge a four per cent tax on accommodations sold. To register for a MAT number and learn more about the MAT, visit

Applying for a Short-Term Rental Licence

To apply for a licence, owners and brokerages must submit an application with the required supporting documents and licensing fee. Go to the Apply for a licence page linked below to get started.