A building permit is required for any alterations or proposed new septic installations.
Drawings that are prepared by a qualified designer (as defined in the Ontario Building Code) must include:
- The qualified designer's name
- The qualified designer’s registration number
- The qualification identification number of the qualified designer (Building Code Identification Number: BCIN)
- The qualified designer's signature
- The stamp or statement that the qualified designer has reviewed and taken responsibility for the design activities
A PDF copy of the construction drawing must be provided.
All drawings must be provided on standard-sized sheets to a minimum scale of 1:75 or 3/16ths equals one foot.
Drawings are to be fully dimensioned, signed and dated and include information such as:
- Soil and water table information sheet
- Septic design criteria
- Site plan
- Cross sections
- Treatment unit approval documentation (Building Materials Evaluation Committee, BMEC, or Bureau du Normalisation du Québec, BNQ)
- Application for a Permit to Construct or Demolish (PDF)
- Commonly Used Applicable Laws & Building Permits (PDF)
- Building Permit Applicant Authorization Form (PDF)
- Schedule 1 Designer Information Form (PDF)
- Sewage System Installer Information Form (PDF)
- Any other documents that are important for the project
Provincially-Mandated Onsite Sewage Inspection
Does the property have a septic system? Find out by clicking on the link above.