The 20-Minute Makeover challenge returns!
Register by March 31 to receive a free community cleanup kit
In the time it takes to watch your favourite television show, wait for your food delivery to arrive or listen to a podcast, you could help spring clean your neighbourhood! The City of Vaughan’s popular 20-Minute Makeover is returning this year – the week-long cleanup is scheduled from Monday, April 17 to Sunday, April 23.
Every year in April, before Earth Day, Vaughan residents are encouraged to get outside and beautify their community – this means helping to clean up litter from local school yards, parks, trails, greenspaces, backyards, boulevards and even around Canada Post mailboxes.
Here’s how you can participate in the 2023 20-Minute Makeover event:
- Gather a team – this can include work colleagues, friends, members of your household or anyone!
- Pick a public location in your neighbourhood to help clean.
- Register online at vaughan.ca/20MinuteMakeover.
And that’s it! Be ready to clean your selected location on your preferred day for 20 minutes. Your actions will help keep Vaughan safe, clean and beautiful.
BONUS: Sign up by Friday, March 31 to receive a free personal cleanup kit – including garbage bags and plastic gloves. From Monday, April 10 to Friday, April 14 kits will be available for pickup at the Joint Operations Centre at 2800 Rutherford Rd.
While you’re cleaning up, remember to:
- not pick up any litter you feel uncomfortable handling or dangerous items, including syringes, broken glass and medical waste.
- avoid sick or dead wild birds or other wildlife, as they may be infected with diseases that can spread to humans. Pets should also be kept away from sick or dead wildlife and be kept on leashes. You can report dead or injured wildlife to Vaughan Animal Services at 905-832-2281 or firstname.lastname@example.org and staff will respond. Please do not touch the birds.
- stay mentally alert; only collect litter from safe areas and be mindful of traffic.
- avoid ravines, streams, rivers, stormwater ponds and other bodies of water.
- wear appropriate protective clothing depending on the weather, including boots, rain jackets, hats and sunscreen.
- avoid over-exertion and take breaks when needed.
- make note of what types of items you are picking up and the number of bags filled so you can report on what was collected afterwards.
- post a photo of your cleanup on social media using the hashtag #Vaughan20MM.
Litter collected may be left beside a City garbage bin within the park or greenspace. Garbage bags must not be left in fields, playgrounds or anywhere other than directly beside a City-owned garbage bin, unless otherwise approved by the City.
This year’s cleanup initiative is sponsored by Ronco, Glad Canada, Miller Waste and in partnership with Pitch-In Canada – a national non-profit group dedicated to preserving and creating more sustainable environments.
The City has participated in this annual clean-up event since 2004, excluding 2020 and 2021 in response to provincial COVID-19 public health measures.
To learn more, visit vaughan.ca/20MinuteMakeover.
For updates and news as they happen, subscribe to Vaughan News and follow the official corporate channels on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn.