Under the Ontario Building Code, the person who is issued a permit is required to provide notification to the Building Standards department when various stages of construction are ready to be inspected. Several inspections are required.
Not all stages of inspection will apply to every project. Please call the Building Standards department to clarify which stages of construction require inspections.
The inspection categories below apply to small buildings:
- That are a maximum of three storeys in building height
- That are a maximum of 600square metres in building area
- That do not include assembly, institutional or high hazard industrial occupancies
- Preliminary meetings: These may be requested by the permit holder or, in some cases, may be required by the building inspector. Preliminary meetings provide an opportunity to discuss the project before the start of construction. These meetings can be scheduled with the Building Standards department at 905-832-8511.
- Excavation/footing: An inspection is required before pouring concrete. At this point, excavation is complete, footing forms are installed and the ground within the forms is not frozen, and free from standing water, mud and loose materials.
- Backfill/foundation: An inspection is required before backfilling the foundation. All foundation work is in place (damp-proofing and/or waterproofing applied, drainage layer installed and foundation drainage system installed where required). Perimeter insulation is in place where required.
- Structural framing: An inspection is required when structural framing is complete and before installing insulation, vapour barriers and air barriers. Fire blocking at floor levels is also complete and ready for inspection. Plumbing, electrical, heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) ductwork is complete and has been passed before the structural framing inspection.
- Fire separations: An inspection is required for construction of fire separation, including installation of closures.
- Insulation: An inspection is required before the installation of interior finishes, but after framing is passed. Insulation, air and vapour barrier systems are complete. Fire stopping is in place where required.
- Vaughan Fire and Rescue Service (VFRS) inspections: An inspection is required for active fire protection systems. Contact VFRS at 905-832-8531 to book inspections of fire alarms, sprinkler and fire suppression systems.
- Final interior (occupancy): Plumbing, HVAC and VFRS inspections have been completed and all requirements under the Ontario Building Code for occupancy have been satisfied.
- Final inspection/exterior: All construction is complete, including exterior work and grading.
- Some projects may require HVAC and plumbing inspections as well.
Read more about how to schedule an inspection for a construction project.
- Build Right Ontario
- Code of Conduct for Building Officials (PDF)
- Ministry of Municipal Affairs
- Ontario Association of Architects
- Ontario Building Code
- Ontario Building Code Act, 1992
- Ontario Building Officials Association
- Ministry of Labour
- Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change
- Professional Engineers of Ontario