Thieves will steal an entire bicycle or they may steal parts or items attached to the bike that are not securely fastened:
- Always lock the frame AND both wheels to a bike rack or immovable object (two locks is better than one). If you only lock one wheel, your bicycle can be quickly detached and carried away.
- Always lock your bike when it is left unattended, even if it is for a short period of time.
- Always keep your bicycle locked, even in a garage or on a porch.
- If you don't need a quick release seat and wheels, replace them with standard bolts. If you do want quick release items, take them with you or lock them to your frame.
- Take lights, mirrors, bags and panniers with you, along with anything else that is not securely fastened.
- Consider riding an inexpensive bicycle for everyday use and short trips.
Register your bike with York Regional Police online at: https://onlinereporting.yrp.ca/BikeRegistration.html