Congratulations on deciding to get married! If you plan to have your wedding in Ontario, you may obtain a marriage licence from the Office of the City Clerk, located at Vaughan City Hall.
SERVICE ADVISORY: Please be advised that marriage licences are now being issued by appointment ONLY. Please use the booking tool at the link provided below.
You will have three months from the date of issue to make your marriage official. Your marriage may be performed by:
- An appointed municipal clerk or delegate - available at Vaughan City Hall.
- An Ontario judge or justice of the peace.
- A religious official authorized by Service Ontario to perform marriages.
Obtaining a marriage licence at Vaughan City Hall
One or both applicants must obtain their marriage licence in person. Marriage licences will be issued by appointment ONLY between 8:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. To book an appointment, please click Book An Appointment below.
Please bring the following when applying:
- Marriage Licence Application form (PDF), completed and signed by both applicants.
- Marriage Licence Fee: $180.70 payable by Visa, Mastercard, Interac Debit or cheque.
- Two pieces of original government-issued identification for both applicants.
Photocopies and digital copies of documentation are not accepted.
Applicants must be able to speak and read English, or provide an interpreter.
Applicants must be 16 years of age or older to obtain a marriage licence. Applicants under 18 years of age require written consent from their legal guardian. You may pick up a consent form at the Office of the City Clerk.
Remarrying after a prior marriage
If a divorce or annulment was issued in Canada:
- You will be required to present a Certificate of Divorce or Annulment Order with your marriage licence application.
- If the divorce was issued before Jan. 1, 1987, submit a final decree.
- A divorce order or divorce judgment will not be accepted. Papers must be court-certified.
If a divorce or annulment was issued outside of Canada:
- You will be required to present an authorization letter from the Office of the Registrar General with your marriage licence application. Please visit the Service Ontario website for information on how to obtain this letter. Please note: this process can take up to four weeks to complete.
If a prior marriage was ended by the death of a spouse:
- A death certificate must be presented upon application.
Civil marriage ceremony at Vaughan City Hall
Marriage ceremonies are booked in advance. Please call 905-832-8504, to schedule your ceremony. Once a ceremony is booked, an officiant will contact you to schedule a pre-ceremony consultation.
To make this day beautiful, dignified and intimate, our Civil Ceremony Information Package (PDF) will help you plan your civil marriage. Please fill out the questionnaire and submit it at your consultation.
There are three options of vows to choose from. You will also have the option to include custom vows which can be inserted between the mandatory declarations required under the Ontario Marriage Act
Marriage ceremonies are booked in advance. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 905-832-8504, to schedule your ceremony.
Civil marriage ceremony application and fee
- Civil Ceremony Information Package and Questionnaire (PDF)
- Fee (business hours): $395.00 + $51.35 (HST) = $446.35
The couple must be able to speak and read English or provide an interpreter. Anyone acting as an interpreter for the vows must complete an interpreter certificate (PDF).
Office of the City Clerk
Vaughan City Hall
2141 Major Mackenzie Dr.
Vaughan, ON L6A1T1