National Public Works Week
Since 1960, municipalities across Canada have recognized National Public Works Week. This special week in May is used to educate, engage and inform the community about the essential role Public Works plays in our quality of life. Equally important is the opportunity to promote Public Works as a career choice and recognizing those who currently serve in these vital roles.
Each year, National Public Works Week has a unique theme. This year's is “Connecting the World Through Public Works,” which highlights the way public works professionals connect us physically, through infrastructure, and inspirationally, through service to our community.
From Sunday, May 21 to Saturday, May 27, 2023, the City of Vaughan will recognize National Public Works Week and the dedicated staff who go above and beyond to provide the community with front-line services that safeguard and enhance the quality of life in our growing city.
Public Works Open House
You’re invited to join us – rain or shine – for a day of family-friendly activities on Saturday, May 27 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Joint Operations Centre (2800 Rutherford Rd.). During the event, you can:
- admire a large fleet display from the City
- donate your textiles at our clothes donation bin
- enjoy a FREE ice cream or slushie (one per person).
- exchange damaged City-issued blue boxes and green bins or purchase new ones.
- fill up your reusable water bottle at the City’s water truck.
- get your face painted.
- jump, climb and slide your way through an inflatable obstacle course (you must be between 36 to 80 inches, or 91 to 203 centimetres).
- meet and greet animals from Reptilia Zoo!
- pick up FREE mulch (up to three bags per car; bags will be provided by the City).
- step right up to fun at our inflatable carnival game booth.
- watch live entertainment.
- and more!
Watch the videos below to see some of the amazing work Vaughan's Public Works team does for the city:
Elenore D'Ambrosi, At Your Service
Stephen Marcantonio, At Your Service
Julia Jandrisits, At Your Service
Peter Harper, At Your Service
Jennifer Gill, At Your Service
Angelo Vellone, At Your Service
Daniel Sepe, At Your Service
Patrick Courchesne, At Your Service
Rejean Khan, At Your Service