Dumping is not permitted in the City of Vaughan and is enforceable under the Littering and Dumping By-law (No. 3-2004), as amended. Individuals found dumping are subject to a maximum fine of $5,000 per offence.
In order to lodge a formal complaint with respect to dumping, there must be a witness to the dumping. Witnesses are required to provide a "Witness Statement" in order for By-law Officers to lay charges and the witness will be required to testify in Provincial Court.
The witness must be able to provide:
- a description of the offender (gender, ethnicity, height, weight, facial features, hair colour, etc.) and be able to identify the individual in court;
- the make, model, colour and licence plate of the vehicle;
- location of the offence (as much detail as possible);
- a detailed account of the actions taken by the offender;
- a description of the item(s) dumped - pictures would be beneficial;
- a detailed account of any conversation(s) with the offender.
Return to By-law & Compliance, Licensing & Permit Services Home Page